Koni inserts

Jim Crate jcrate@deepskytech.com
Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:37:29 -0500

>>Well, if they were identical and cost more, then it would be wasting your
>>money. However, the konis are rebound adjustable only vs the agx, which are
>>both compression and rebound adjustable at the same time.

>No they are not.  Sure, the jounce changes, but *ever so slightly* and I'm
>sure the Konis do as well.  AGX are single adjustable, rebound only.  This
>was proven on a shock dyno right after they came out.  Kyle Davis had shock
>dyno charts for both the SE-R and G20 AGX.

I remember looking at those shock dyno charts, and thinking that they indicated
that compression damping was what changed the most, while rebound damping was
changed very slightly.

And from experience with them on my own car, I can tell you that compression
damping *does* change significantly when you adjust them.  It doesn't feel that
rebound damping increases much at all.  When cranked up to 4/8, though, they are
so stiff it feels like a solid suspension.

As for longevity, the KYB AGX on my 240SX are still doing pretty well after 3+
years of track events, autocrosses, and a lot of street driving, even on my
bumpy dirt road.  My street settings of 2/5 are starting to feel a little
softer, but when cranked up to 3/7 for track/autox use they feel as stiff as
ever.

Speaking of koni and rebound damping, some nationals-level autocrossers used to
use specially-valved konis with very high rebound damping on stock class cars.
This would effectively "jack" the car down, because as the suspension
compressed, the shocks would extremely slow the extension (rebound) of the
suspension.  As a result, after the first couple of corners, a "stock" car could
run the rest of the course on the bumpstops, tremendously increasing the
effective spring rate.

Jim Crate
91 240SX SE Super HICAS