2 Fast 2 Furrious

Darren Calbero DarrenC@ampartners.com
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 20:00:27 -0500

Nicholas wrote:
> Unless it says Skyline, it will never be the real thing in my eyes.

That would be like saying the JDM Sunny is not like the USDM Sentra or the
JDM Fairlady Z is not the same as the USDM 350Z.

> Lee said the GTR is not the same as the base skyline.  Used
> to be the GTR
> was the same as the base but with upgraded everything
> including engine.

Yes, "used to be".  Much like the old Toyota Celicas, there were the base
Celicas and then there were the Celica Supras.  Then came a point when the
Supras became their own line.  Much the same is occurring with the V35 and
R35.  Nissan is separating the GTR from the Skyline family name.

> But I haven't really heard anything about the GTR since
> the concept R35 so I'd be curious to hear anything new.

I don't think many people outside of the GTR team and upper management know
what is going on.

> On the whole name thing, why would Nissan send us a skyline, but not
> label it as such?  There is very good name recognition with that car
> even if it has never been sold here.  I'm sure the G35 would have sold
> even better if it had been named skyline.

Probably not.  For one, Nissan opted to sell the V35 (G35) as an Infiniti as
it is a RWD platform which is the direction for Infiniti, the name Skyline
goes against the Infiniti nomenclature, the less informed US general public
does not know what a Skyline is anyway, and those in the know would have the
same reaction like you . . . disappointed that it is not a RB26DETT AWD
"Porsche 911 Turbo" killer.

DC