WRC from an avid fan...

Chris Pronios hpro@b-link.gr
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:55:34 -0500

People,

I know WRC and rallying in general is not too hot in the States (compared
with other forms of car racing) but this snippet is worth a look.

Last leg of WRC was in Greece, the "Acropolis Rally". Markko Martin from
Esthonia won it and it was his first ever victory in WRC competition.

This bit of information is easily obtainable by any interested party. The
following however is not:

Day 1 (of 3) of the Rally, Special Stage 5, "Elatia - Zeli 1", length 34.68
Km.

Approximately in Km 8, a silly part of  Martin's FORD Focus RS WRC3, fails.
The hood pins. The result?

http://www.reporter.gr/images/0test/acropolis_1b.jpg
http://www.reporter.gr/images/0test/acropolis_2b.jpg
http://www.reporter.gr/images/0test/acropolis_3b.jpg

In a display of pure professionalism and unbelievable poise and driving
skills, he finished the Stage in 4th place, only 6 seconds behind the leader
(24:27:09 vs. 24:21:09). Not once did the damn hood came down during the
remaining 26,## Kms. and 6 seconds ?????? !!!!!!!!!! ????????? !!!!!!!!!!!

There were differences of 6 seconds between the 6 first place finishers in a
6 minute Special Stage!!!! I can assure you that for the past 20-some years
that I have been watching World Rallying events and the Acropolis in
particular, I have NEVER seen such a performance!

Chris