Turboing a SR20DE

Neall Verheyde neall@telus.net
Fri, 6 Jun 2003 11:17:13 -0500

I would have cut sheet metal if it made sense.

All the room in a G20 is on the driver's side (once the battery and
airbox are gone).  The passenger side is completely plugged with AC
tackle.  I can barely find room for the dipstick let alone intercooler
piping.  I would have liked to have gone through the driver's side
fender, around the radiator.  A hole is already waiting in the fender
from my old cold-air intake.  There's just too much structural stuff in
the way to get the pipe through.  I was also adamant about not cutting
the bumper to make room.  As it turns out, going under the bumper works
fine, and isn't too low.  I cheated with a pair of silicone 90s to get a
tighter bend.  I *really* cheated by getting an intercooler made that
had the inlet and outlet on the same side to make things really easy.

It's hard to see in these pictures, but the piping is still higher than
the cross-member and the downpipe.

http://www3.telus.net/neall/turbo_g20/front_facia.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/neall/turbo_g20/lower_piping.jpg

Neall.