Suspension Gurus

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 23 May 2003 08:53:03 -0500

Robert Legere wrote:

>*****I bought a set of GC's back in '94 for my cousin's SE-R. Back then,
>they supplied 225 front/200 rear springs. The car bottomed constantly with a 1"
>drop. Blew out 3 full sets of struts. Also found the springs themselves
>were bottoming (coil-binding).  Simply not enough travel for the weight of
>the car, at
>least not with off-the-shelf coil-over springs, which have notoriously
>close coil spacing. Your results may vary!

I ran 275/200 on my G20 with AGX.  I too was getting coil-binding.  I was
planning on switching from a 7" spring to an 8" spring and I'm guessing
this with some Koni bumpstops would have done the trick, but I'm not
certain.  The 275/200 gave a really good ride.  I think with a set of Konis
it would have been outstanding - especially with a shorter front
shock.  Also, my drop was too low and this was because of the 7" spring
(had to have them at the top of the adjustments).  The drop was between 1
and 1.5".  I would have liked to raise it about 3/8" from where it was.

George Roffe