300/200 springs with older agx shocks pretty harsh, autocross...

Robert Legere rlegere@snet.net
Wed, 21 May 2003 16:39:01 -0500

*****I have a '91 with custom 500 front/300 rear
springs with Konis. They ride MUCH better than the
AGX's I took off the car with 300/225 springs.
Particularly in the rear, the car no longer has the
bounciness it once had. I run the front Konis at full
stiff, and the rears at 1.5 turns out of a possible 2
turns of adjustment.
     BTW, one of the most critical aspects of running
the Konis was bleeding them before installation. Being
a hydraulic strut (no gas), if they lay on their
sides, they will tend to get air bubbles mixed into
the oil. I had to cycle one of the struts (full
stroke) over 40 times to fully eliminate the air, and
the others a minimum of 25 cycles each. Once this is
done, the struts can NOT be layed on their sides or
upside down, or the air will return! The difference in
damping between an aerated and non-aerated Koni is
substantial. I have about two month's daily use so far
with the Koni's and they have not leaked/blown *yet*.

Bob