Spec-V info.

Hammer Down hammer_down@hotmail.com
Wed, 21 May 2003 10:24:24 -0500

Since Mike Jez brought up tthe topic about failing Spec-V engines, I asked
DC aqbout it.  Here is his comments:

"Mostly a problem with the catalytic converter disentigrating and getting
sucked back into the cylinders, causing the obvious havoc. They also seem to
break in slowly, so they consume oil for a while, and if people don't check
it often enoguh... Aluminum bearings are longer wearing than the
conventional tri-metal stuff, but they are intolerant of metal-on-metal
contact, so one low oil incident and, a rod will, in Nissan's terms "cause
an oil leak" by leaping out of the block. The balance shafts also seem to
froth the shit out of the oil, which doesn't seem like a good idea."

"With the balance shafts and pre-cat removed, you get a 6-quart oil capacity
(shafts are in the pan) and a pretty tough motor. No problems with mine
after more than a season."

-Dave

Looks like a cadidate for a Cat removal... Uhhhhggg!  Okay, maybe jsut a
replacement with one of better quality.  Hope he doesn't mind that I shared
this info...

Erik Halvorson

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the
sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove.... but the world may
be different because I was important in the life of a child."  unknown