Emissions control equip removal... WAS: EGR Tube with a turbo

Michael Jez 93SER@attbi.com
Tue, 20 May 2003 14:54:46 -0500

> It is like removing your Cat.  Why?  The current evolution of the
catalytic Converter is not
> restrictive as is used to be.  Most, if not all, are now a straight flow
> through design and add only minute amount of pack pressure.  Keep the car
> emissions legal.
<snip>
I don't think anyone has dynoed how much a test pipe gives U on a SE-R, but
on a VQ30DE Maxima U can realize as much as 15WHP from removing the cat and
going to a test pipe. Sure it might stink some, but I come from Europe,
where old diesels and 2 stroke vehicles are aplenty and I can care less how
much my car stinks as far as my performance is there. 96 and newer cars are
exempt from a snifter test in IL, they only check the ECU for any stored
codes. Since my car doesn't now monitor the cat efficiency I can get away
with removing 2 cats, and leaving just one precat on it- doesn't affect any
performance gains by removing that thing. When I removed my main cat about 2
months ago- it was melted from the way I drive- it colapsed inside and was
rattleing.... now keep in mind I shift at fuel cut just about every chance I
get.... my fuel mileage sucks but once on the highway I saw up to 36MPG.
Mods make the car more efficient.
Mike Jez
93 SE-R Turbo
01 Maxima SE-R 5spd.