Engine miss in '91 SE-R

Dan Mitchell prograde49@hotmail.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 07:53:01 -0500

I have a 1991 SE-R I bought new. At this point, it's my 2nd car. Last year, I
took it to a trans place to have the 5th gear popout fixed. The shop basically
sent the xaxle elsewhere for overhaul (didn't know this was their procedure,
or I would have just gone to THAT place) and while I think the axle was done
ok, the R&R was a mess (for those in central Ohio, avoid "Columbus
Transmission" on N. Hamilton like the plague). The day after I got the car
back, it began to run rough (ran ok at 1st), both at idle & speed. Feels like
a miss or a vacuum leak. Since the car is my 2nd, I've been driving the other
one (an EXTREMELY boring Chevy Prizm). Thoroughly checked anything that
logically would have been disturbed during R&R, seems fine, no hoses off, no
disconnected wires, etc. I've put a clutch in this car myself a few years
back, so I know what has to come off to get the xaxle out. Put in new plugs,
wires, rotor & cap, nogo. All cylinders are getting spark. I know it could be
a zillion things, (I'm not as stupid as I sound here, just haven't done much
of this lately, mostly for health reasons) but if someone could help point me
in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it.

TIA

Dan