leaking GAB front struts

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Sun, 11 May 2003 13:27:58 -0500

Curtis wrote:

> I find this very unusual considering that the struts only have
> 40k on them. My car has never been raced or abused so I don't understand
> why the struts failed.

I guess I have only one burning question, really.

Is your suspension lowered at all?  Or do you have completely stock ride
height,
a.k.a.  bone stock springs/perches.  Because the only thing I could imagine
ruining
otherwise perfectly good shocks would bottoming out the travel,
which could easily caused by having something like eibach pro-kits or
sportlines on your car, and driving around bottoming out.  According to
Mike over at Motivational Engineering (www.motivational.net) this bottoming
out and and subsequent bumpsteer is what would damage the seals on the
struts.

He estimated shock life with stock length strut housings under prokits to
be about 6-12 months, depending on whether or not the driver notices,
mostly.

I'd also point out that Marty over at Raxles estimates CV boot (joint)
life at excess of 1" drop to be around the same amount of time.

Food for thought, anyway.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.