SHigSpeed Rear Pillow Ball Mounts / Coil Over Noises

Matt MA MA@legacypartners.com
Thu, 8 May 2003 17:16:09 -0500

When I first installed the Motivational coil overs, I used the stock
upper strut mounts in the rear. I tightened down everything so it was
secure, but I still got rattling noises from the strut mounts. I tried
various
tips that I found from the list archives, like adding washers to the to the
top of the shaft. Still noisy. The stock mount uses a rubber bushing to
accomodate the small pivoting motions of the rear struts as the
suspension moves up and down. Apparently this was allowing more
motion than desired, as you could see the top of the strut shaft actually
moving up and down within the rubber bushing (about 1/4" or ="
motion).

Finally I installed the SHigSpeed pillow ball mounts. These replaced the
stock upper strut mounts in the rear. It uses a spherical bearing instead
of a rubber bushing to accomodate the pivoting motions. Unlike the
rubber bushing, the spherical bearing does not allow any vertical nor
lateral motions. Much to my pleasure, the annoying rattling noise is now
completely gone! It's not often where something provides better
performance *and* quieter operation!

I rate the SHigSpeed rear pillow ball mounts five out of five stars!

matt ma . 92 SE-R