PAR, has the cure for the weak SE-R transmission I think!

mike kojima choaderboy2@yahoo.com
Thu, 8 May 2003 16:07:58 -0500

Most of you know how much our trannys suck and some of
you have probably broken several trannys, even trannys
that have been cryotreated and shotpeened.  Most turbo
SE-R guys live in fear that their 3rd gear could go
bye bye at any minute.  I think those days are now
gone.

As some of you know, I have been experimenting with
the PAR constant mesh tranny conversion. The PAR
gearset has way wider gears made of a stronger grade
of steel and a large tooth profile where the gears
have much larger teeth than stock.  The PAR tranny can
also easily do super fast clutchless upshifts and
downshifts with ease, its designed to do it so it
won't be harmed.  Speed shifting through the gears is
awsome, it sounds like an Indy or F-1 car, the shifts
are so fast.

I think the PAR is better than the Bluebird conversion
because its a direct bolt in and its almost imposible
to get a Bluebird tranny with an LSD.  A par equipped
stock tranny is much smaller and lighter than a
Bluebird tranny.

PAR claimes that their gearset can take 500 hp and I
am now pretty confident of this.  I recently
disasembled and inspected the tranny after running it
at Streets of Willow for about 50 minutes running 20
psi of boost.

Normaly a stock tranny, even if its been cryoed,
shotpeened and massaged will only last a few minutes
on a road couse, especialy at 20 psi because of the
great deal of time you spend in third gear.  Road
racing is way harder than drag racing on third gear.

I was happy to see that third gear hardly had any
evidence of wear other than a slight burnishing of the
teeth face.  If you have ever looked at third gear of
any high powered turbo SE-R even one that has not been
road raced, you will see heavy wear, even fretting and
gauling of the gear.  In fact third had about the same
amount of wear as the rest of the gears.  The PAR
third is wider than the widest stock gear.

I think that this is going to be a breakthrough for
SE-R development because most of you know that the
tranny is what has been holding us back all this time.
 As for driving a constant mesh tranny on the street,
its really not all that bad, you have to shift firmly
with a snap of the wrist.  Limp wristing the tranny
will cause the dogs to grind and wear faster.
Shifting without the clutch is ok and if you do it
right is actualy easier on the tranny.  Remember all
motorcycles are constant mesh and they are streetable
right?  As far as straight cut gears being
unstreetable, they actualy only have a slight whine,
less for example than a Jackson racing supercharger
kit and less than a gear drive cam in a V-8, it
actualy sounds cool to my ears.  Straight cut gears
are stronger and use less power than the stock
helicarical gears.

PAR can make a syncromesh gearset if their is enough
interest.  The syncro gearset will only be able to
hold 400-450 hp because the gears can't be as wide due
to the syncros taking up more room.  Remember this is
still probably twice what the stock tranny can take!

I think these gears are essential for any TO4/T3 or
bigger car making more than 250 whp and even the T28
powered cars will eventualy need it.  With turbos, its
not if you'll break your stock tranny but when!

You can e-mail PAR via their web sight
www.par-engineering.com and the price for the set is
around $3000 US.  Many of you will remember last year
when I tried to get Quaife to make us a stronger
gearset.  They wanted $3700 up front and they at first
said that the gearset would only be 40% stronger, then
backed out of that, then said they would not even
guarantee that the gearset would fit!  That caused me
to drop the deal with them.

PAR is much cheaper, more friendly, has way more
strength and the set is already made and developed
with no up front money needed.  I know I had a bunch
of you  on my Quaife tranny list, well now there is a
better cheaper solution avalible and on the shelf.
Thanks to Ivan Tomac for bringing this company to our
attention!

Mike