can you clean an oxygen sensor? and how do you read them?

David Pertuz davidpertuz@mindspring.com
Tue, 6 May 2003 17:50:09 -0500

>We use propane or map to clean off lead after a weekend of racing. Don't
>know why I didn't remember this when you were here.

Fortunately I have a MAPP torch in my basement....

>Your black oxygen sensor points to a problem to me.

Yes, I think so too, but I haven't really thought it through yet, so I
don't know what might be causing it. If the crack (which is near the
sensor) was letting in enough extra air, I suppose it could fool the sensor
into thinking the engine was running lean, prompting the ECU to richen
things up. Or it may be PAIR/EGR-related. I think that if the mixture had
been really rich for a long time Iwould have noticed it in my fuel economy,
which has been pretty good for a long time. It did start going down a
couple of months ago, although now it is back up again. Right before I
drove down to GA I disconnected the EGR system by removing the hose between
the two mushrooms and plugging the ends, since I am not in much hurry to
take that damn EGR tube out and clean it out.

david