Header Repair (And: can you clean an oxygen sensor?)

Stewart, Joe (COX-Atlanta) Joe.Stewart@cox.com
Tue, 6 May 2003 17:03:07 -0500

>Is there any reliable way to weld up or otherwise repair cracked HS
headers?

My dad, his brothers and granddad all tried with my old G1 or G2 header.
(Over 120 years of welding experience there.) We had access to
everything from a stick to a tig, to a mig, and even lots of different
things to braze with. In the end, we gave up and I bought a new primary.
Hotpieceofshiat will sell you a new primary (with lots of drama, missed
deadlines, and horrid customer support) for a tad over $100. That is
going to be your best bet. The G4 primaries are different and make more
power anyway. They also use a real fitting now for the EGR and AIV ports
instead of just a nut welded up there.

That being said, I wasn't that happy with the welds on the new G4
either. I suspect the root issue still exists.

-Jay