bouncing, but improving

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Sun, 4 May 2003 08:49:12 -0500

Sorry I'm coming a little late to the party on this one, but I've been
racing this weekend again with Grover and Bruce.

Frank Ewald, <frank_ewald@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>I've been lurking and reading for some time now. My name is Frank and I
>bought my NX new off the lot in 92.

Welcome Frank.

>I may get turfed here because my car is a 1.6 NX and not a 2 litre

No way.  However, you are not likely to get answers to technical questions
about the 1.6 engine here.  Otherwise, as you say, the suspension and rest
of the car are pretty much the same.

>...on both corners & straight away I feel like I'm bouncing. On rough
>corners I was bounced around inside the car. I guessed my seat was the
>culprit as the car itself seemed quite secure. Last night I set the front
>shocks to 1 and the rear to 2....

The other responsese you received about being too low and changing the bump
stops were excellent (given the responders, I wouldn't expect less).  One
note I would add however (for after you raise  your car and change the
bumpstops) is that when you adjust your AGX, you are mainly only adjusting
the rebound.  Jounce changes very little.

Why is this important?  Because most of the time when you feel bounciness
(other than being too low) it's because you don't have enough rebound
damping.  The initial jounce should be soaked up by the suspension (mostly)
and the faster it rebounds, the bouncier it feels.  You have to be careful
though because if you set the rebound too stiff, the car can effectively
lower itself after successive bumps because it doesn't rebound enough
between bumps.  Then you have the car riding on the bumpstops again.

Good luck.  Have fun.  And raise that car (and change the bumpstops).

George Roffe