Brake Rotors

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 2 May 2003 22:03:47 -0500

Because of my mini "fiasco" when I rotated my tires a couple of weeks
ago(seriously over torqued the lug nuts), I have to replace my brake rotors.
Wayne actually made the call on the rotors being warped... thanks, Wayne.

After doing my usual research in the archives, I've decided that I'm just
going to replace them... they've been turned at least once before. And, from
the archives, it was mentioned several times that it's not that much more
expensive to buy rotors than getting them turned.

The one thing I didn't find(poor research methods, I'm sure) was a decent
but relatively inexpensive rotor to buy... you know, maybe something at
Autozone, Pepboys or other retailer. My car doesn't see any track time and
has no performance hp mods. At this time, I'm only going to replace the
front rotors... time is a huge factor when you're trying to keep an eye on
the hyperactive 3 yr. old.

I just had the brakes done by Jay Whitely 6 or 7 months ago, and I know the
rotors were turned at that time. He also replaced the pads and brake
fluid(Motul 600).

Oh, yeah. This is for a '91 Classic with ABS.

Anything else I should change while I'm doing these? I'll peruse the FSM and
Haynes to make sure I have the tools I need. If not, I can borrow them from
Autozone by leaving a deposit.

Any suggestions or experience about inexpensive and reliable brake rotors
would help me a lot.

Thanks for your time,
Mark