bouncing, but improving

Frank Ewald frank_ewald@sympatico.ca
Fri, 2 May 2003 04:07:57 -0500

I've been lurking and reading for some time now. My name is Frank and I
bought my NX new off the lot in 92. I've found that your list actually
deals with some serious issues, versus other lists which seem to be
chat rooms that, in some instances, are a pooling of misinformation. I
may get turfed here because my car is a 1.6 NX and not a 2 litre, but
the suspension question would basically be the same so I'm asking the
question because I think someone will have the answer. The car itself
has minor work - advanced timing, K&N filter in the stock box, and well
maintained including synthetic engine oil.

After waiting quite some time for the parts to arrive I've spent the
last two days driving whenever I get a chance with my newly installed
KYB-AGX (front set at 2 of 4, rears at 4 of 8), ground control coil
overs (lowered 2 inches), and Eibach springs. Complete alignment done.
On good roads cornering is incredible versus worn out stock stuff and
my recollection of original handling, but on both corners & straight
away I feel like I'm bouncing. On rough corners I was bounced around
inside the car. I guessed my seat was the culprit as the car itself
seemed quite secure. Last night I set the front shocks to 1 and the
rear to 2 (and hope my new wheels/tires 195/50/15s arrive today).
Currently running stock wheels and snow tires. Everything felt much
better - very firm ride but I was more secure. Significantly less
bounce. What settings would you suggest for daily street driving? Is it
really be the seat that was bouncing me?  If so, suggestions to
reinforce it would be appreciated as I just had new cloth installed -
so am not ready to replace it completely.  Also, is 2" too much of a
drop? I'm thinking of raising it .5 or .75". Would that affect the
struts? I'm still trying to figure out the impact of raising/lowering
the coilovers on the struts?

I also have an exhaust question.  While doing this work found that my
cat (original) is leaking around the flange.  I may go to headers when
I replace that. Suggestions for header and cat? And a turbo is not in
the horizon.  I look forward to your suggestions.

Regards,
Frank
92 NX
Original owner - 116K