mixing brake pad types

Kevin J. Hart bowlcut@comcast.net
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 22:40:23 -0500

>Steven Papatrefon said:

>>Is it a bad idea to mix two different brake pad types i.e. different for
>>fronts than rears for street driving?

>How diverse are we talking about?  As long as the fronts are stronger than
>the rears, and it's not like a 3/4 race compound up front and Raybestos
>supercheaps in the rear, it shouldn't be terribly unsafe.

I do something of the type every day of the week.

I have Nissan OEM pads up front, and el cheapo wagner something
or anothers out back.  They were like 14 dollars from advanced auto.
The back doesnt do much at all, and well at the time I thought id be
replaceing the rear rotors sooner than later.  Never did tho.

Personaly I dont recomend anything above a metal master for daily
driving.  I have had the OEM's for a while and find they stop faster than
I ever need to when on a good bleed job.  Then again I think if you are
out smokeing your pads on the streets....you dont need to be on the
streets.  And please stay away from any little red stock looking classic
that may be going slower than you think is acceptable....

Kevin
93 classic (Automatic, Stuff)
paid for money maker so I take care of her, and drive like a granny