1/4 mile drag

JaretR1@aol.com JaretR1@aol.com
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 13:22:29 -0500

In a message dated 4/28/2003 1:59:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cowboydren@b15sentra.net writes:

> The idea is to shift the point where you will *lose* the
> least *torque* when the next gear is engaged.  You can calculate all of
> this if you know your gearing (we do)

I once read a formula in one of the car magazines as a way to calculate this.
 And it does have to do with gear ratios and peak torque.  I dont remember
exactly what the calculation was...but you took something, divided or
multiplied it by soemthing else and it told you optimal shift points in each
gear.  What I do remember, that in a stock Classic, the optimal shift points
were way over redline to get the engine RPM's to drop back at the peak torque
point.  Suffice to say, for optimal acceleration, its best to shift at
redline in 1rst, 2nd, and 3rd gear, despite the fact the engine does not make
much power above 7000 RPM.  And besides, thats how hte car mags do it anyway
:)

Jaret