1/4 mile drag

cowboydren@b15sentra.net cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 12:59:01 -0500

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 12:17:51AM -0500, Viper18876@aol.com wrote:

> I have recently gone to the drag strip and eveytime i ran my 97 200sx SE-R i
> red lined it.  I talked to someone at this auto shop and he said that some
> cars loose speed after a certain amoung of RPM's.

It doesn't lose speed, but it doesn't accelerate as quickly.  The only
way to answer this question properly is to look at a dyno chart of your
car.  The SR20DE pulls pretty hard to redline, though with a low-port
engine there seems little point to shifting after 7000 RPM with the
stock cams.  The idea is to shift the point where you will *lose* the
least *torque* when the next gear is engaged.  You can calculate all of
this if you know your gearing (we do), and know your power band (we
mostly do, but really need a dyno chart to prove it).

About drag racing:

Do a full old-fashioned tuneup on your car with Nissan parts (cap,
rotor, distributor, wires), clean your TB and EGR/BPT system, make sure
your MAF sensor is grounded properly, set your timing up to 19* (with
91-octane fuel), change your engine and gearbox oils to synthetic, get a
good alignment (zero toe up front, maximum spec negative camber), and go
back to the track.  Then we'll see who has problems and who's shifting
too late...

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stew my foot and call me Susan!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |