Fastbrakes kit help!

Ben Fenner fenfam@attbi.com
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 20:57:53 -0500

> Yea I would like to know what is up because I will be buying this kit
soon.

Here's what I sent to VRtual boy:

> I just got back from getting the 11" fastbrake kit
> installed on my '98 200sx.

Grats.

> Well the pads are squeaking bad, and it sounds like
> they are grinding badly on the rotor...

Sadly the squeaking actually gets worse. One thing that will help is to make
sure your wheels are not over-toqued. I lossed mine to 80 ft.-lbs and that
helped a lot. The grinding is under hard braking? If so, this is normal due
to the aluminum adapter bracket and aluminum caliper. It's not as solid as
cast iron and is further away from the center of the wheel allowing for a
little vibration. I can't imagine the pads or rotors are being hurt. The
squeaking would be due to incorrect/uneven torque. Do you have wheel
spacers? They can cause problems too if the are smaller than the rotor hat.

> The mechanic that installed them for me said that I
> need to get softer pads, and that I shouldn't drive my
> car until I do!

If he's right, I should have sidelined me car a month ago.
The pads that come with the kit are pretty soft. I don't think they make
softer.

> Has anyone had this problem?  Is there a softer pair
> of pads that I can get for the 4-piston Wilwood
> calipers?

I have this "problem" but realize that High Performance and silent operation
usualy don't mix. Silent is the goal of the manufacturor, not the race
tuner.
There is a wide selection of pads available for this caliper. It's used in
many aplications (first used in sprint cars). Just say you have Wilwood
Dinalite 4 piston calipers. Brian said he switched to these pads because
others were complaining the Hawk pads were sqeeking a bit. Maybe they
squeeked less?

> I am trying to get a hold of Brian from Fastbrakes by
> phone, but there is no answer.

He has the craziest office hours! Look at the web site and you'll find out
when to call him. He's in AZ and works 6-9pm I think.

One other thing I thought of while at work. The people who installed it (you
didn't do it yourself?) could have mixed up one of the 8 bolts used in the
kit. 4 are one size and 4 are another. There are only 2 or 3mm difference
between the two bolts and mixing them up could cause a bolt to actually rub
against the rotor! Not good. Check the clearance on the bolts to make
absolutely sure you're golden.

-Ben
1994 Sentra SE-R