leaking taillights

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:12:23 -0500

This was one of the first successful fixes I did for my car after I bought
it. Of course, when I say successful, George, Wayne, Bruce and others will
start laughing... I'm not always successful with my fixes, been known to
create more problems.

Anyway, I took the entire assembly off and apart from the outside lights to
the inside screws and brackets. Take your time, it can get messy if you
hurry. Used some Goop Off to clean some of the stray black sticky stuff,
then used 2 bead widths of RTV all the way around, screw and bracket holes
and where ever there was a gap in the fitment. Works like a charm. Took
awhile, but well worth it... prevented what could have been a messy job and
my trunk hasn't leaked in 6 months(that's with Florida rain). Just don't
attempt this if it's hot as boogers outside... the original black sealant
will be plenty runny.

Hope this helped,
Mark