Ford Brake Fluid Review

dale863@bellsouth.net dale863@bellsouth.net
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 08:42:31 -0500

As I waited until the last minute to bleed my brakes for last weekend's
DE, and since I had no more Motul 600, I tried using the Ford High
Performance brake fluid.  It was the stuff with a dry boiling point
of 550 degrees.  I ran the car relatively easy in the first 20
minutue session as I was heat cycling a new set of tires.  For the
2nd session I swapped back to an old set of tires and hammered on
the car pretty hard.  About halfway through the 2nd session the pedal
started getting really soft and eventually almost went to the floor.
So much for getting by with the cheap stuff.  I bummed a can of ATE
Super Blue and didn't have any problems the rest of the weekend,
although the pedal never did feel as firm as it usually does with the
Motul 600.  I'm sticking with the Motul from now on.  For reference,
I got the brakes hot enough to melt the valve stem caps on the front
tires, apparently the Ford stuff wasn't up to the task.

Dale Hinson
91 Classic - many mods, many miles