doing the clutch 92 g20

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 19:33:20 -0500

At 04:45 PM 4/15/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>hi folks I am working on installing a new clutch in a 92 g20.  How long do
>these
>normally last in a unmodified nicely driven g20's? (this clutch is totally
>gone

Some folks get 10k, some get 150K or more.  Hard to say.  Keeping the cable
adjusted makes a big difference.  (Are the G20s cable actuated like the
B13, or hydraulic?)

> >From measuring the input shaft on the tranny and the pilot bearing (the
> old as
>well as the new)  the id of the bearing is 50 thousandths smaller than the
>shaft

There's a chamfer on both that may make contact, but the bearing is
considered to be pretty much useless.  Maybe put a little tiny bit of
grease on the chamfer, and pull it forward in the crank so the input shaft
drives it back to a contacting position?

>Another problem is a really stuck tranny fill plug. My dad had it off last
>year but failed to put it back on with anti-seize so it has for all
>practical purposes become one with the tranny case. I know one way to do
>it is weld a

An impact wrench will get them loose sometimes.  They work wonders
at  cranking out stuck bolts without stripping heads off.  It's a tapered
thread, like a pipe joint, and it's important to not over-tighten
them.  Other than that, uhhh... I've heard of some guys removing the speedo
pickup to refill them, but those are usually corrosion-adhered to the case
worse than the plugs.

>The third and final question is about getting the axels out, the drivers
>side is held into the transaxle by some sort of spring clip right? So does
>that mean you

On the SE-R / NX2k, the clip is there;  a crow-bar between the tranny
housing and the back of the CV joint should pop it easily.  On
installation, gack up the slot and the clip with grease to hold it centered
on the shaft.  Then use a block of wood or something between the end of the
axle and your Big F@@@in' Hammer to snap it in.  DO NOT POUND ON THE
THREADED END DIRECTLY!

    -Wayne    '91 NX2k - '93 NK2k - '92 SE-R parts car