Crankshaft Position Sensor

Steve Baune sbaune@attbi.com
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 19:53:26 -0500

The Al Flywheel has steel teeth as andris states below.  The problem I
see is not having the 5 volts, can someone check theres to see if it has
the power in the on position?

> I respectfully disagree.  The CPS sensor is looking for iron teeth,
> which is a fairly dense metal with lots of magnetic field
> interraction.  I thought that Fidanza flywheels had aluminum teeth,
> which have neither said qualities.  The CPS signal can't see motion
> from teeth that it doesn't see, now, can it?

I don't know of any Al flywheels that have aluminum teeth. Do you know
what a starter would do to them?  Aluminum flywheels are usually an
aluminum plate with a steel/iron/Cromo ring gear bolted to the outside.
Same goes for
the engagement surface.  Bolted/riveted on plate.   The CPS doesn't see
motion, it registers the presence of a ferrous metal in front of it.
(if it's a magnetic sensor)  In any case, having a light flywheel should
have zero effect on its functionality.  It may somehow have gotten out
of whack and be too far away or something to register - they require
quite close tolerances to get a reading.

andris