Alternator whine

Brian Jones jonesbri@cox.net
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:47:36 -0500

Hey Ive been searching archives and whatnot...cant seem to come up
With the exact reason as to why im getting this.  I just put a new
Alternator in bout a year ago, and that didn't solve the problem.
I can tell it's the alternator because if the fans kick on, you can
Hear the whine increase from where it is.  I also checked the tension
On the belts and they are fine.  Also checked the connections to it,
Cleaned off the ground (couldn't quite reach a ground on the body
Of the alternator itself, but it was tight).  I do have my battery
In the trunk (optima) with a 2 gauge wire running back there and
A 0/1 gauge from the battery ground to a bolt on the frame under the
Trunk.  I guess I dunno what else to check?  Im stumped.  Ive read
That a whine can be from juice passing through the diodes and stuff,
But since it's a new alternator, I don't see how.  Thoughts? :)

-Brian Jones
93.5 G