Crankshaft Position Sensor

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 17:28:19 -0500

Steve Baune said:

> Yes I have the Fidanza flywheel and I thought it was the flywheel too,
> but I talked to JWT and they said it shouldn't matter, it's just looking
> for the motion of the teeth on the flywheel.

I respectfully disagree.  The CPS sensor is looking for iron teeth, which
is a fairly dense metal with lots of magnetic field interraction.  I
thought that Fidanza flywheels had aluminum teeth, which have neither said
qualities.  The CPS signal can't see motion from teeth that it doesn't
see, now, can it?

> I thought that made sense, so I started looking at the sensor and it's
> position. The position can't be moved very much...

Disappointing, isn't it?  I bet that if the sensor could be adjusted
deeper into the bellhousing, the CPS would have less trouble.

> The sensor wiring should have 5 volts on it no matter what flywheel you
> have. Now I'm wondering if we shorted something out while changing...

This makes sense.  Keep us posted, please.  I'd like to someday have an
ultralight flywheel for my B15, and it most likely has the same CPS
problem (haven't really talked to anybody with ultralights).  A lightened
OEM flywheel would look just like a stock flywheel to the CPS, though...

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stew my foot and call me Susan!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |