Battery Charger

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 15:33:45 -0500

At 03:16 PM 4/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>Can anyone recommend a good battery charger?

I got a nice one from Sears a few years ago for $50.  It has a low current
6V setting, 2 and 12 amp 12 volt rates, and a high current (60 amp?) 12V
"start" setting.  It shuts off automatically, and can be left connected as
a "trickle charger".  Has current meter and nice quality cords.

>Also, anybody know how to use a multimeter to determine if the car is
>draining the battery excessively?

Shut off car.  Put the meter on the highest DC current setting (plug the
leads in the appropriate jacks, if necessary).  Disconnect the battery, and
hook the meter in in series.  Should be hardly any draw, maybe 0.5 amp,
with it just sitting.  If it's higher, pull each fuse and watch for it to
drop to determine which circuit is running down the battery.  DO NOT
attempt this with the car running, starting, or even with the lights
on.  You will fry your meter or at least its fuse.

    -Wayne    '91 NX2k - '93 NK2k - '92 SE-R parts car