Seat Mod

Ben Fenner fenfam@attbi.com
Mon, 7 Apr 2003 13:32:38 -0500

> When you say steam... do you mean like a steam cleaner? If so, would one
you
> can rent at a store work as well?

> Brian Cembor
> 92 SE-R ... at least for now...

I'm not too familiar with steam cleaners, but it may work. I think the
difference between what I used
(http://www.jiffysteamer.com/products/index.asp?incat=5) and a steam cleaner
is the amount of pressure and the nozzle. You're looking for a fabric and
upholstery steamer. One that operates at low pressure, just slightly higher
than the pressure created when steam rises un-hindered. The nozzle is wide
with 4 holes in it about 15mm in diameter.
   ___________________
 /                                             \
|    (_)      (_)         (_)      (_)   |
 \______                  ______/
                \               /
                  \           /

Anything with steam could be made to work, just be careful that you don't
rip the foam with high pressure steam. Your goal is not to clean the
surface. Your goal is to have the steam slowly seep into the foam and expand
it from within. You may be suprised at how the cloth on your seats fits much
better than before. Also, the seat should feel brand new. Then of course,
you could be dissapointed too I guess.  There are always those people out
there =)

This mod has been tested and is proven to reduce lap times by 0.01% - 0.03%
due to increased lateral support but doesn't translate into any quarter mile
gains.

-Ben
1991 Sentra SE-R