TPS question with Gti-R - running rich

Andy K andy@tag-tag.com
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 14:00:51 -0500

Hello fellow se-rians...

I'm trying to get my GTi-R engine running and am having a big problem with
gas: Too much! I'm running the gti-r ecu, maf, and o2 sensor, and for some
reason it is running very very rich. I have tried with no luck to remove the
o2 sensor from the housing, and it won't budge..
 I've checked the voltage on the MAF and it's fine, and have done the
check on the TPS... as far as I can tell..

I'm having a problem w/ the tps actually. I'm not sure how to get the
reading
from it. http://www.se-r.net/engine/tps_voltage_adjustment.html explains how
to do it, but I dont quite understand it. It says to "hook the positive lead
through
the back of the harness" but there is no back of the harness? I'm not sure
if I'm
looking in the wrong place or something but I can't seem to figure that out.
With my engine there's the TPS and a plug goes into it which is connected
to a short lead which then goes into a smaller 3 wired plug and then that
plugs
into the wiring harness. Is this how they all are? It seems rather strange.

Also, I know that the GTi-R's tps goes backwards to the SE-R, so I had to
swap the wires in order to get that to work. What if I wanted to just
install the
se-r TPS, would that work? I'd have to move the lever to the other side and
then
install it.. would I then be able to swap back the wires, or leave them the
same?

Is there any other reasoning behind why it would be running so rich? I mean
there
is black smoke coming out of the exhuast at all times.. I'm sure that's not
good
for things. I also noticed that the oil smelled a little like gas. I changed
it as soon
as I smelled that (not more than 10 miles on the engine) so I think/hope
it'll be ok.

I really need your help here guys! I couldn't find much in the archives
aside from
Frank who was having the same problem.. I couldn't find a reply.

Thanks guys!

Andy K
91 SE-R