PAIR valve troubles

EEYORE5182@aol.com EEYORE5182@aol.com
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 15:41:47 -0600

well, I finally got my PAIR valve back on a few weekends ago.  I silvered in
a new tube near the inlet of the cat, and a new vacuum line on, etc.  Ran
high temp hose from the PAIR valve to the new copper tube on the cat...no
prob (installed my PR solid mounts that weekend also..which i TOTALLY love).
Problem is, the PAIR valve now is not working.  Its not making the same noise
that it did when I took it off about a year ago.  Since I have an old PR
intake, I don't have an inlet hose for the PAIR to get air, so I just hooked
up a small K&N breather filter to it..this was a LONG time ago.  Since I
didn't have any of the silencers on it, you could always hear it make the
little farting noise.  Now, nothing.  Since it was sitting in my basement for
a year, and was working when it came off, I don't *think* the reed valves
would be messed up.  (famous last words I guess).  My only other thought
would be that I might have messed up the vacuum line block that it connects
to (the one that controls almost everything else emissions related..on the
top of the intake manifold).  How can I find out if this vacuum block is
clogged or not functional? And if it IS clogged, and did effect my emissions,
which area would be higher HC's or NO?  someone at the dealership said that
my car would be hard to start if it was cold out side if all of that was
dysfunctional, but I don't put many trust in dealership people in my area.
If my PAIR valve is messed up, can I just run a separate air tube to
constantly put fresh cold air into the exhaust system, in order to keep the
cat lit off and trick the emissions sniffer?  This really needs to get
done...and I'm running out of options.

Alex
'93 NX2k