PAR Bulletproof Gearset Installed and Running

mike kojima choaderboy2@yahoo.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 16:28:16 -0600

 Ok, I finally got around to putting together the PAR
 super heavy duty, constant mesh dog gear set and
 installing it in my transmission.

 For those of you worried that it may not be
 streetable, avert your fears, it is very streetable,
 it is just different in the way it shifts.  If you
 are used to how a motorcycle shifts, you will feel
right
 at home, you need to shift with a firm snap of the
 wrist or the transmission could grind.  Its not hard
 or anything, just the transmission does not tolerate
 being limp wristed.  You can master this in about 5
 minutes.  On partial throttle easy shifts, it goes
 "clank" into gear, just like a motorcycle. The
 transmission due to straight cut gears also whines
 like a motorcycle as well.  Its really not that bad,
 the drilled rear rotors on my car whine louder for
 instance.  The gear drive on a built V8 whines way
 louder.  Are all these things unbearable?  Not for
 most of you who have 300+ hp turbo cars with loud
 exhausts, hard motor mounts, snorting bypass valves
 and wastegates.  Perhaps some persnickety person
 might
 find this stuff bad but any high power turbo person
 will probably actual like the whine and positive
 shifts.

 The cool thing is that you can do snick-snick
 clutchless shifts that are lightning fast without
 hurting the gearset, it was designed to do it.  You
 slightly preload the shifter then fan the throttle
 and
 boom, it goes into the next gear faster than you can
 blink.

 Downshifts are great, way better and more positive
 than a stock transmission the transmission
 effortlessly downshifts weather heel and toeing or
 just plain downshifting.

 Where the transmission really shines is rowing
 through
 the gears at WOT, it shifts very fast and smooth,
 amazingly so.

 Third gear on this sucker is way thicker with way
 beefier teeth than stock, in fact all of the gears
 are
 way strong.  The version I had built, has an
 extended
 input shaft so it can use a Silvia pilot bearing and
 has the input shaft fully supported, I belive this
 will help it hold more power.

 PAR says this gearbox should hold 500 hp.  It is
 going
 to cost around $3000 us retail. I think you powerful
  turbo car owners will no longer have to walk in fear
of the transmission breaking

 I also installed JWT's new double disc clutch with
 the
 new hat contour and new organic linings.
 Surprisingly
 this clutch is very streetable.  It has a slightly
 harder pedal than JWT's regular clutch, about that
 of
 a ACT street clutch.  It is not as smooth as JWT's
 stage 1 clutch but way smoother than for instance a
 clutch net stage 3 or an ACT 6 puck.  Its probably
 the
 second smoothest clutch you can get. It had a very
 slight chatter in the first few minutes of operation
but it went away. The clutch also makes a light
 chinging noise when the pedal is pushed in due to
 the
 floater plate moving, but it is no big deal.

This clutch has held 500 hp on tests on some drag
cars.  It has a real fast action due to a short
 release clearance for fast shifts and weighs only
 15.6
lbs with the flywheel!  The motor is so responsive
 and
 revs so fast, its amazing.

 I also installed a Nismo 1.5 way clutch type LSD.  I
 have used this with great success in my NASA SE-R
 Cup
 race car and feel that in all but one way, feel on
 initial turn in, it is better than a quaife.  It
 locks
 up hard and also helps prevent inside wheel lockup
 under braking for a turn.  It has 4 pinion gears so
 that failure will not happen and it locks more
 positively than a quaife.

 Anyway, I knew that many of you would be eagerly
 awaiting the results of the fit up.  This
 transmission
 will see battle in the Honda vs Nissan shootout for
 TNN's 2NER TV show on Tuesday.  I plan to use 20 psi
 on the road course to make sure third gear will
 hold.

 Mike