stalling

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:40:28 -0600

Pat wrote:
 >>  As i coast to a stop, the car will
sometime die during deceleration. RPMs drop so low it stalls.  Once
stopped, RPMs are normal. Base idle *may* be low, since the tach is fried
and my sears tach has a coil signal input, not inductive. Could the TPS
adjustment cause this?  <<

Yes, your base idle could be set wrong and causing your stalling issue.  Set
it using a digital multi-meter (a great investment in these days of ECU
controlled everything.)
The TPS *might* contribute to the problem, but I'm not sure.
The other thing to check is that you have a clear BPT tube leading to your
EGR.  EGR issues are the #1 cause of stalling under deceleration.  The BPT
tube can be a pain to clean out, but it will also give your car a clean
exhaust to let you pass emissions.
SE-R.net has the info on the EGR issues.

Tim Rogers
-93 NX T-top -needs wiring work
-91 NX - Racecar-to-be
-75 Silverado - Rusty