teflon tape

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 18:49:39 -0600

> On another note. Was the connection you made Khiem a flare style or
> metal to> metal cone style seal? Over tightening these connection is a sure
way t> get> them to leak. I take em til they get snug and then add a quarter
turn.> They> hold 5,000 psi with that technique (1/4" swagelok with ferrul's).

The female end(in the tee) was a cone style.  I had to use an adapter to go
from BSPT into the tee to NPT for the oil line fitting.  It was an Autometer
adapter(female NPT, male BSPT) which was square cut and not conical.  The
first one which leaked, we cranked it down so much that the Autometer fitting
was deformed; made it conical basically!

Anywayz... the HKS fitting wasn't damaged; got another Autometer fitting, and
using ~2 turns of tape, it screwed in about 1.5-2 turns by hand.  Tightened it
a little bit more than that.  I was kinda afraid that that wasn't enough, but
it's held the last 25k miles or so and no leaks!

I've recently come to know what swagelock fittings are, pretty cool things!

Khiem