Strange sound coming from engine area.

Ivan Chou ichou@sdf.lonestar.org
Fri, 14 Mar 2003 15:11:43 -0600

Peter Serwe wrote:

> I have this strange very light ticking showing up at different rpms, it
> likes to rear it's head when I apply a little throttle.

Peter,

I had a ticking noise from 1700 through 2500 RPM at light-medium throttle.
The noise is just like what a kid's bike makes with a playing card stuck
through its spokes.  It drove me nuts, and I thought it was the gasket or
flex-pipe.  It turns out it was due to my mangled threads on the
EGR-to-header connector.  The EGR side backed out a little and created an
ever-so-tiny leak.

I applied some "muffler mender" around it, and this fixed it temporarily.
The cement crumbles and falls off after a few weeks, so I need to find out
how to replace the whole tube, or the threaded end.  It looks cramped in
there:-\.

Ivan - '93 SE-R 115k, '95 M3 110k
http://ichou.freeshell.org/se-r.html