Cheap DIY EFI controller

JFormantes@aol.com JFormantes@aol.com
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 08:44:53 -0600

In a message dated 3/8/03 4:51:24 AM GMT Standard Time,
cowboydren@b15sentra.net writes:

<< Note that it's fuel-only.  You'd have to do something like an MSD
 Digital-7Plus with a bunch of accessory modules to handle spark.  How
 cheap is cheap?  A stock ECU and a GReddy e-Manage would be orders of
 magnitude more powerful than this thing. >>

For me, this is really cheap! consider this as a base ECU for controlling
Fuel though the device found in the site
(http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html) doesn't deal with spark which our
Nissans need for necessary calculations.

For electronics minded, as you can see the schematic diagram features a
microcontroller IC that performs all the calculations and enables you to make
your own program calculations for your specific engine with all their
sensors.  As for me I think you need only few external electronic components
to handle the spark ( If you are enclined to electronics) and connect it to
that microcontroller.  Base on the electrical diagram they provided and the
bill of materials they have on the site I found out the components itself are
none of that special, they are like ordinary components found in your Stereo
Amplifier.  And you can buy this things at your local RADIOSHACK. here's what
I Found:

The featured microconntroller IC is only:  less than $5.00 ( see motorola's
website for pricing)
Resistors = less than $1.00
Capacitors = less that $1.50
Transistors = less than $3.00
Connectors = less that $10.00
others = less $20.00

The good thing about this is your can write your own program over and over to
the
microcontroller (No need for JWT to re-program your OEM ECU, you can make one
yourself with your own program and hardware).  Supposed one of the SE-R guys
here developed a really nice program and hardware based on this Megasquirt
specific to our stock SR20, with that we can start modifying variables if you
change something --like the CAMS or putting a turbo in your SR20. Ofcourse
this needs a lot time, it will take an engineer's mind to calculate all these
things, a computer nerd that knows how to write program based on the
engineer's calculation and an Electronic guru to put all the hardware to
work.  In which people in this SE-R list are capable of more than doing that.

If someone does, this will never be never ending tuning for power and you can
modify your ECU anytime.  And it will be cheap in the long run for us all
SR20 owners.