FOLLOW-UP ON "My car misfires, idles poorly, runs rich and it failed emission... "

Fred L Igel@telus.net
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:00:40 -0600

Hello everyone,

First, thanks for all your initial replies to my thread. I've been busy with
work the last two days so I hadn't had much chance to try some of your
suggestions but here are some updates.

One of your suggestions was:

"Try having someone hold the engine at 2500rpm and removing an injector
connector on all cylinders. If the engine runs the same after all have been
removed then that leaves the ignition system or bad fuel injectors. However
if 1 cylinder doesn't change then that leaves either spark miss-fire or a
faulty fuel injector. Also try pull any codes that is stored in the ECU. "

Well, I've tried disconnecting the fuel injector connector on all cylinders
while the car was idling and as soon as I unplugged one of the connectors,
the car would almost die so I'm guessing that the injectors are not the
cause of my problem. I've also unplugged the MAF sensor while the motor was
running and the idle rose a bit. I then assummed that my MAF sensor is
working. Then as some of you suggested, I've resetted the ECU by turing that
little screw clockwise for 2 sec or more and then turning it
counter-clockwise. Interestingly, the ECU gave me an error code: 1 long
blink and 2 short blinks. I looked up the SE-R.net site and this particular
error code refers to: Mass airflow sensor/circuit. So, is this what's
causing my problem with rough idle, rich fuel mixture, misfire and
sputtering? What should I do? Reground it? Or is the MAF sensor no good? How
would I test to see if MAF is working or not?

Please help me out. It's real frustrating!

thanks very much again!

Fred