monkey madness

Brian Cembor bcembor@fastenal.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:54:56 -0600

I thought I would relate my sheer stupidity to y'all as you can probably
appreciate it.

Sat our novice school was cancelled for legal reasons with Turner Field, I
was gonna be an instructor (HA!). soo.. my friend was having an MG meet at
his garage. I took the SE-R down there to replace my rear struts with the
semi-new Monroes.

Disassembly was more than I had with the fronts. Broke an extension trying
to loosen the R rear bottom bolts and nearly rounded one off, nut and bolt.
Once all was loose no problem removing. According to Haynes (they suck) all
you need to remove the top nut is a ratchet. WRONG after trying a pipe
wrench and several other dumb-ass ideas broke out the impact. BAM! No
problem, done.
Got first one apart and brought over new strut, reassembled, no prob.
Repeated with 2nd.
Went to re-install, left fit fine. Right the top was off. Didn't have the
arrows pointed correctly. Got both bolted in top. Started on the bottom
right, the brake line bracket was on the wrong side, huh? Checked on the
left side same thing. DAMN!

Took back out switched sides.... Now the right top would not align
correctly... same with left even though arrow was pointed correctly... took
apart flipped spring.. should work right? Nope.

Long story short, somehow had managed to switch the tops and springs, etc.

Soo... 6 HOURS later got it all back together... learned quite a few lessons
Saturday...

Brian M. Cembor
M is for monkey
92 SE-R