Nissport water temp adaptor

geo3@earthlink.net geo3@earthlink.net
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:10:27 -0600

Jay Whitely <jwhitely2000@yahoo.com> wrote:

>***Well, here is where I am going with this.  The OEM coolant temp sensors
>are located at the rear of the head on an aluminum pipe. This pipe leads
>to a metal pipe that wraps around the back and side of the motor and ends
>up at the thermostat housing.  This fact leads me to believe that the
>direction of coolant flow was out of the motor, through the thermostat,
>through the lower house, into the radiator, out of the radiator and back
>into the head through the upper hose.

I used to believe this as well until someone pointed out to me that there
is a coolant flow diagram in the FSM.

>I have a 1/2" NPT aluminum bung that I need to weld on for my temp gauge.
>I can either weld it next to the OEM coolant temp sensors (where space is
>limited) or I can weld it to the aluminum upper radiator hose outlet
>(where there is more space). What do you think would give me accurate
>readings?

Define accurate. :-)

I think the coolant temps extiting the engine will tend to fluctuate more.
I think it will also give you a better idea of what the engine is dealing
with in terms of heat management.  Of course, an oil temp gauge will also
help with this.

The sending unit hooked up before the T-stat (after the radiator) will give
you an idea of how well the car is able to keep water temps stable.

So, there is no definitive answer.  Like I said, I've decided to do both.

George Roffe
http://www.nissport.com
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction