Fuel Filter

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:35:59 -0600

"Heavy sigh"... just installed a new fuel filter on my '91 Classic 2
tankfuls ago. The first tank, I got only 22.5 mpg the second, 23.5 mpg. I'm
used to getting between 26 and 27.5 mpg.

Now, the only thing I changed was the filter... didn't farf around with
anything else and I did it correctly(info provided by Haynes, this list, and
sr20deforum.... I like to cover my bases).

I did notice that the filter I received from _____ Nissan looked smaller
than the one that was on there, by about 10 to 15%. I looked at the box, and
it had the appropriate vehicle usage on it... but, the box had been
previously opened. The lines fit fine on the filter ends, so I assumed it
was still the right filter.

Is it possible I was sent the wrong size filter? And, if it is too small,
would that be contributing to the poor mileage?

And before anyone asks, I did check for leaks and there are none. Perhaps
when the light is better and the engine cooler, I'll check to see if there
is a part number on the filter and double check that with the appropriate
part number for my car.

Any answers or flames are welcome... thanks for your time,

Mark