Fuel pressure

Jay Whitely jwhitely2000@yahoo.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 15:47:20 -0600

> I expected there to be a check valve in the fuel
> pump that would maintain
> pressure.  A check of the archives mentions the
> possibility of a check valve
> in the fuel pump but there is nothing definitive.

***First of all, the fuel pressure at idle with the
vacuum hose disconnected should be 43 psi.  There is
no specific reading for "with the key in the ON
position". The car has to be running to set the
pressure.

When you turn off the car, the gauge should show a
constant pressure for a while, even up to several
hours.  This is called "hold pressure". Bleeding down
to zero right away indicated one of two things. There
is an issue with the fuel pump check valve or you have
a leaking injector.  The leaking injector is a more
common cause, in my experience. This normally results
in a lot of smoke out of the tailpipe if the leak is
major.  Bad gas mileage should also result.

Good luck man,

=====
Jay Whitely
Tampa, FL