SR20 camshafts

Chris Scarpulla sr20de@optonline.net
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 14:17:52 -0600

http://new.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22177&highlight=hks+do
wel

And for those of you who have an aversion to anything containing HTML;
******************************
Posted by Jay Whitley

Just to clarify a point here.

The RWD and FWD cams are exactly the same and they are interchangeable, no
problem. The only thing that is different from an OEM FWD cam and an OEM RWD
cam is the length of the dowel pin on the exhaust cam.

The FWD OEM cams (intake and exhaust) both use short dowel pins). The RWD
OEM intake cam uses a short dowel pin and the exhaust cam uses a long dowel
pin. This long pin is there to engage the crank angle sensor/distributor
drive gear.

So, all you need to do use FWD cams in a RWD SR20 is to remove the long
dowel pin from the OEM exhaust cam and install it into the FWD exhaust cam.
Done.

Any machine shop that resurfaces flywheels can do this. It requires the same
tool that they use to remove the dowel pins from flywheels. It is a slide
hammer.

I installed a set of JWT S3 cams in my customer's RWD S13 Silvia red top
just recently.

Eric Waterman asked