Grinding noise during startup

Brian Cembor bcembor@fastenal.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 13:36:46 -0600

My '92 has the starter whine. It is well documented on SER.net. it is
because the wheel thingy (great terms Einstein) over revs. It is missing a
part or something to that effect, won't die on you b/c of this though. Only
replace if it bothers you otherwise should last you a while

Brian M. Cembor
M is for moron
92 SE-R with 128k and a whiny-ass driv... uh... starter...

It sounds almost like that except with a lil more base to it's voice!!! I
think I used the wrong description but it seems I have the same thing you
had. It's also intermittent because last night and this morning it didn't do
it. Should I replace it now (the starter) and avoid being stranded because
it won't start or should I wait for it to get worse? If I should wait for it
to get worse, does the noise get worse or is there no warning before it goes
out on me. Thanx for all the replies guys.

Ray