Grinding noise during startup

Ray Sta.Juana raystajuana@hotmail.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 12:34:44 -0600

     Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:11:42 -0800
     From: "Carlos Gutierrez" <cgutierrez@ci.glendora.ca.us>
  Subject: RE: Grinding noise during cold startup

>  Ray, it's not the start up clatter?  Grinding huh...

>  The starter noise is more of a whine; my '92 sounds like a cat got
  caught sleeping in the engine bay every morning.  If it's warmer out it
  seems less tortured ;^)

>  CAG

It sounds almost like that except with a lil more base to it's voice!!! I
think I used the wrong description but it seems I have the same thing you
had. It's also intermittent because last night and this morning it didn't do
it. Should I replace it now (the starter) and avoid being stranded because
it won't start or should I wait for it to get worse? If I should wait for it
to get worse, does the noise get worse or is there no warning before it goes
out on me. Thanx for all the replies guys.

Ray