Passenger Drive Axle

Andy Kunkle andy@tag-tag.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 21:33:59 -0600

Hey Shawn and list,

I really appreciate all of your replies!! That was great! This is why I love
this list.

I think that the problem is not with the metal seal, but with the axle
itself. I think
that it is the wrong one. The reason I say this is because when I put the
axle in
with the metal seal fixed to the little grooves on the axle (so it seals
against the
axle), the seal sits about 1/2" away from the rubber seal in the tranny.
When I
 push the metal seal towards the rubber one to make the seal complete, the
metal one slides off the grooves and into a skinnier part of the axle. When
this
 happens there is nothing holding the metal gasket to the rubber one (since
the
grooves are further from the transmission), so any turning of the axle
causes the
 seal to move back and forth. It looks like the splines are just too long
for the
seal to make a proper, well.. seal.. man, I think there's enough seals in
there
to upholster all of our SE-R's...

but anyway, yeah, I think that's what's going on here... so I had Nappy auto
parts order me up another axle and it'll be here tomorrow. I'll check it and
see what happens from there.

Ugg, the trials and tribulations that go with owning the worlds most
unknown car (seemingly anyway).

Hasta..

Andy K
91 SE-R with Gti-R

Shawn wrote:

you might have hit the seal when installing the axle cause it to sit at an
angle.
if this happens it wont seal properly. it has happened to me a couple of
times. also on the inside of the seal is a metal spring-type ring that
squeezes