work done

Brian Cembor bcembor@fastenal.com
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 08:13:35 -0600

That might not be a bad idea then.
Seeing as I bought the car in May and my b-day is July I did not have to
test last year. I thought GA was using the OBD hookups now for testing, no
more tailpipe tests. Oh now I remember, that is only on newer cars...drat.

Before I plugged off the lines I did do all the reading in the archives and
SER.net to see what to do. just plugging them off seemed the easiest
solution. To clean I have read about taking some small gauge wire and
running down the BPT line.

To replace, do you have to drop the engine?

Brian

Brian, if you live in an emissions testing county here in metro Atlanta,
(you do, right?) you will fail the NOx portion of the Georgia test this
year.
Your BPT or BPT tube are probably the most likely culprits for your previous
issues.
The tube can be a pain to unclog on our motors, but it is easy to test and
repair procedures are fairly well documented.  If the problem is with the
BPT, I have a spare one that is about to come off of my racecar that I can
donate to your cause, and we could get together if you wanted some help in
sorting all of this out.
A *properly working* EGR system will not reduce your performance or
drivability, so it is better to trouble shoot it and fix it, since you will
need it to get your tag sometime this year.  I have gone through this before
and know that this stuff can get a little frustrating.