compatible tranny

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 14:34:10 -0600

N rogge wrote:

"some people told me that
an infinity g20 tranny would would work in my 92 se-r
but when I search used trannys they ask me if i need a
locking or non-locking differential.  i don't know
what to look for. "

Dude, (I'll call you that because you can't seem to give us your real name,
which is not our general "style" around here.)
You need a transmission with a locking differential (also known as a Viscous
Limited Slip Differential, or VLSD.)  These can be found in the '91 thru '97
SE-R's, NX2000's and G20t's, not the regular G20's, only the "t" model.  The
transmission model that you want is the RS5F32V, not the RS5F32A.  The "V"
stands for the VLSD, which is what your car came with.  If you were to get
the "A" variant, you would also have to change axles, which would be a major
PITA, along with the fact that you would lose performance.
The G20 came with slightly higher 5th, and possibly 3rd and 4th gears, so
you would lose some acceleration in those gears but gain a little bit of
economy and reduce engine noise.

Tim Rogers
-93 NX T-top -needs wiring work
-91 NX - Racecar-to-be