Front cover removal with motor in the car.

Michael Jez 93SER@attbi.com
Tue, 31 Dec 2002 00:14:32 -0600

> Reason why I am responding to this is to remind you if already you didn't
> know:
> **There are two bolts under the valvecover in front of the sprockets that
> bolt the head to the timing cover!
Only the RWD DETs and DEs have this Thomas, the FWD or AWD engines have
those bolts on the OUTSIDE right on the edge of the head. I don't see why U
got to pull the front cover off to fix ur timing chain skippage problem,
I've done it sucessfully in my SE-R without pulling the front cover off and
the engine ran like a champ and put down some of the best HP #s for the mods
of all the SE-Rs. Just make sure U got it @ TDC compression on #1 cylinder,
align the marks on the sprockets of the camshafts, and then remove the
tensioner, remove the upper chain guide over the cam sprockets, use some
wrenches to turn the cams a little to give the chain some slack to be able
to align the sprockets right. Count ur chain up like it says in the FSM,
belive 21 is the # U are looking for. put the Tensioner back in- making sure
U got slack in the chain on the tensioner side of the chain, and then turn
the engine over a few times. Tripple check ur timing marks on the cams
again, bolt everything back up, and go beat the shit out of it. My timing
chain skipped cause my tensioner failed and had sooo much start up clatter
that it skipped a a few teeth on the cams. This cause the car to run like
shit, overheat and overall no power.
Mike Jez
93 SE-R GTi-R TO4E Cams whole deal
01 Max