Front cover removal with motor in the car.

Stephen Attwood autoxer7@hotmail.com
Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:16:45 -0600

Been there, done that.  It's been a few years since we did it (arcstarter,
cozine, king, me) but to get to the front cover you'll have to drop the
crossmember, remove both oil pans, the main crank pulley, belts, possibly
the alternator.  Be prepared to use multiple jacks and jack stands since you
won't have the support of the passenger and firewall motor mounts.  On the
upper oil pan don't forget the two nuts under the cover plate otherwise
you'll be dropping the tranny, too!
Whatever you do, use a proper pulley puller!  Don't even think about backing
off the pulley with a couple of bolts (curse Naji!)... the front cover is
made of aluminum... aluminum is soft and can puncture... the front cover
contains the oil pump!

If you have other work you're planning on doing at the same time like
replacing the water and/or power steering pump or installing a new clutch
you might consider dropping the whole engine.

Steve
'92 SE-R

Luis Molina wrote:

Has anyone removed the front cover with the motor in the car? What did it
entail?