My QR25 is (not) dying at 15k miles :(

Joshua Gary ewraven@hotmail.com
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 03:00:06 -0600

I got back from Memphis today.  I drove 650 miles in two days.  I checked
the oil every fifty miles or so all the way down to San Marcos.  The damn
thing never used a drop of oil!  I put about 3/4's of a quart of oil in it
when I was Memphis too.  At the time in Memphis; that raised it to just
above the full mark.  Now that I've gotten home and let it sit in the
parking lot; it is actually a little over a fourth of a quart over the full
mark.  So, I guess my Grandfathers carport is unlevel.  Next time I'm up
there; I'm going to bring a level and check that carport.

This happened before too where my car appeared to use oil on the way up
there; but, didn't use any oil on the way back.  I guess I finally figured
it out.  I think tomorrow or sometime soon; I'll go buy an oil pan and drain
some of that oil out.  It's probably fine though; I just drove 650 miles
with it.

My Sentra did great on the trip.  I got a best of 31 mpg on the way up there
and a best of 29mpg on the way back.  I got 27 mpg combination city/highway
while I was in Memphis.

That oil thing was a real scare for me though.  I've owned a older 82 Honda
Accord before and a 93 Dakota V8.  They both were plagued with problems and
I just didn't trust them.  I've owned three Nissans and none of them have
ever left me stranded.  My father bought a 81 Datsun 210 four door wagon new
way back when I was a kid.  Gosh, I'd love to have that car today.  That
engine bay had a lot of growing room. ;)  My brother eventually got that
thing and put some very hard miles on it and it always ran perfect.  Then it
got totalled at 160k miles and was junked.  I ran through Dallas on the way
up to Memphis and met up with my Uncle who has a 92 Maxima SE.  That thing
used to belong to my Mom and has always been driven extremely hard.  It has
197k miles on it and doesn't even use any oil.  He's had to replace some
fairly expensive wear items on the engine recently; but other than that it's
been great.